In Praise of the Backyard
You don’t have to go too far to find relaxation and adventure. In fact, all you have to do is step out the back door. During the summer, the backyard is where it all happens.
It’s your own little slice of the Great Outdoors, and it’s about to be your go-to spot for making the memories that’ll last a lifetime. Why not turn your backyard into a relaxing retreat and make the most of time spent at home with those you love most? Need some inspiration? Try some of these ideas:
- Pack a picnic basket and head outside to enjoy the sunset – and your firepit. Load up your favorite sandwiches, some seasonal fruit and a bottle of something special. Whether it’s a date night or a family night, a picnic makes any occasion a special one.
- Get into the competitive spirit with fun backyard games. Set up a badminton net, bust out your bocce ball set or cozy up by the fire pit with your favorite board game.
- Bring the movie theater experience home by making a big batch of popcorn, hanging up a sheet and firing up the projector. With plenty of affordable options on the market, it’s easy to create that big-screen ambiance. Don’t forget the fire to keep everyone toasty when the sun goes down.
- As the days get warmer and longer, there’s no better time to throw something tasty on the grill. Enlist the whole family’s help, and together you can enjoy a special meal in which everyone plays a part. For some delicious inspiration, check out what our friends at Cowboy Charcoal are cookin’ up.
- Take camping out of the campground by building a fire in your fire pit, roasting marshmallows, listening to a new playlist and telling spooky ghost stories. Pitch a tent, get out the sleeping bags and spend the night outside under the stars. You might notice things you never thought about before: the sound of birds first thing in the morning, the gentle pitter-patter of a neighbor’s sprinkler.
In the backyard, you’ll find that you don’t have to go far to experience the beauty of nature – it’s been in front of you all along. Most of all, the backyard is proof that summer is something to look forward to all year long.